i associate risotto with rocket & pine nut salad and we have so much rocket growing in the garden i thought i best make a risotto. i made a bacon & mushroom risotto because that's what we had in the fridge but i would also recommend chicken & broccoli.
risotto is the ultimate comfort food for me.. and so delicious with a fresh salad. but it does involve lots of stirring which can be tricky with little ones demanding attention. i frequently burn food at the moment because i get side-tracked by the kids or go to put them to bed and forget the meal i've left on the stove for Sam and i. i tend to make risotto after the kids are in bed so i can lovingly stir it and eat it as soon as it's ready - it's best eaten fresh off the stove.
[bacon & mushroom can be replaced with chicken and broccoli or whatever combination you prefer]
1. chop and saute 1 onion for 2mins
2. add (chopped) 2 cloves garlic, 4 strips bacon, 4 medium mushrooms, 2 sprigs rosemary (optional) and saute for 3mins then set aside
2. in a separate saucepan, heat 2 tbsps olive oil
3. add 1 cup of risotto rice and stir for 2 mins
4. add 1 cup of white wine and stir until wine is absorbed
5. slowly add 2.5 cups of stock 1/2 cup at a time - stirring and letting the liquid absorb before adding more
6. once all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is sticky, add the meat and vegetables and stir
7. add 1/2 cup grated parmesan and a few grinds of pepper and stir to melt the cheese
serve with rocket, cherry tomato & pine nut salad
here is a shrimp, pea and asparagus version. my kids love shrimp - i bought it cooked and added it towards the end, with the vegetables.